Though It's Still Hot, Cold Weather is Coming
When you own a home in Clarksville, October is the best time to get a jump on fall/winter maintenance items. It has been hot this week and can lull us to believe that cold weather is far off. Weather is unpredictable and it can turn cold in a flash. I expect a cooler trend to set in within the week to ten days.
To extend the systems in your home and to protect your home against the elements of winter, there are actions to take now. Do them now while the days are warm and the sun is shining. Cold winds will make the tasks less enjoyable.
Fall/Winter Maintenance for your Clarksville Home
- Check the caulking around windows and doors to make sure there are no gaps that will let air and drafts into your home. Drafts cause you to lose heat and increase energy costs.
- Leaves can clog up gutters fast. A stopped up gutter will cause problems with rain run off and water standing around the house.
- Check your downspouts to be assured that water is carried away from the house and not under the house.
- Disconnect all garden hoses. Older outside hydrants are not frost proof and will freeze if water is trapped in the lines.
- Foundation vents and crawl space doors need to be closed during cold weather periods to keep it warmer under the house and to keep small animals from gettting trapped and causing damage.
- Winterize irrigation and sprinkler systems by blowing out the lines.
- Winterize the swimming pool and store pool furniture for the winter to protect it and cause it to last longer.
- Fall fertilization of your lawn and plants will help them get a good start in the spring.
- Service your HVAC system. Change filters and if you haven't had your ductwork cleaned in several years, it may be time.
- Change batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors even if you don't think they need it.
- Clean the fireplace chimney and have the chimney inspected for safety.
- Check around doors and windows for gaps in caulking and weatherstripping..
- If you burn wood, it's time to chop so wood can cure. if you are not a chopper, order your firewood for delivery in the next few weeks.
- If you use propane gas for heat or your fireplace, now is the time to fill your tank before the prices go up in winter.
- Clean your carpets in preparation for holiday gatherings and being closed up for the winter. This may keep you healthier.
- Replenish flashlight batteries. Make sure that auxiliary heat sources are working and ready. If you have a generator, check to see it is working and ready if an emergency arises.
For those of you considering of buying a new home in Clarksville, fall is a good time to take advantage of the affordable interest rates and good selection of homes. Buy now and you can get settled before the holidays and cold weather arrives.
When you are ready to buy or sell in Clarksville, contact The Real Debbie Reynolds at 931-320-6730.
2130 Wilma Rudolph Blvd.
Clarksville, TN 37040
it would be my pleasure to assist you!
"The Real Debbie Reynolds"
931-771-9070 Office | 931-320-6730 Cell